Tuesday, July 15, 2008

McAfee and AVG Free

So I thought I could have a good free anti virus application. It turns out that you can't really have your cake and eat it at the same time.

I have been using McAfee's VirusScan for years and years. Never had a problem with infection but it comes with a price. How I wish McAfee would try selling an unbundled VirusScan. I don't use the other applications anyway - just VirusScan.

AVG Free is known as one good free anti virus application. Since, it's free, I thought I could switch without too much problems.

Downloaded AVG Free. Installed it. Uninstalled McAfee VirusScan and everything that goes with it.

After scanning using AVG Free, four programs that I made myself were detected. False positive.

As a usual practice, I synchronized my laptop with my desktop once more - only the data files. AVG prompted me once more about the supposed suspected files. I then proceeded to include those four files in the PUP (potentially unwanted programs) exception list. Re-synched my laptop with the computer. Didn't work. It was a headache.

To make the long story short, I ended up uninstalling AVG Free and as of this writing, downloading and reinstalling McAfee VirusScan.

I think I learned my lesson. Why switch when there was no problem with McAfee in the first place.

Well, one problem I could consider is the cost. Prices of almost everything are going up these days. I am still planning to discontinue with my McAfee subscription (as I am for two years and have been buying CDs the previous years) and going back to buying the CDs. DataBlitz still seels the CDs lower as compared to my annual subscription fee.

No comments: